Student Leadership Development Program
Deadline: January 15, 2020
The Ohio Speech-Language-Hearing Association is proud to host our 11th Annual Student Leadership Development Program for currently enrolled students in any of the communication disorders programs at an Ohio institution of higher education. Our 2020 Program will take place Thursday, March 19, 2020 at the 2020 Annual OSLHA Convention, at the Hilton-Polaris, Columbus, Ohio!
The OSLHA Student Leadership Development Program is designed for currently enrolled communication disorders students with the following purposes:
- To provide education and training in the general area of leadership
- To provide basic understanding of the process and strategies for effective advocacy
- To encourage and facilitate leadership opportunities for graduates of the program.
Programming will include a full day of sessions and an opportunity to attend our full convention activities at a discount. The program will contain various issues important to students and emerging professionals. Students will interact with various established leaders in the field and engage in personal development activities such as team building and leadership. Student participants will be recognized and will receive a certificate of completion at our Thursday evening Convention Kick Off and Awards Celebration, as well!
Participants are selected for the 2020 event through a competitive application process. Attendance will be limited to ten (10) selected students and every attempt will be made to select participants representing as many universities as possible.
- Eligible applicants must:
- Be a student (undergraduate senior, graduate, doctoral, professional doctoral)
- Be enrolled, at the time the program is being conducted, in a communication disorders academic program in an Ohio institution
- Have at least a 3.0 university GPA
- Be 18 years of age or older at the time of the selection
- Be a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident of the U.S., or have an F-1 student visa
- Be a member of OSLHA at the time of the application and at the time of participation in the leadership program.
- Applicants are required to submit two letters of support of nomination that include:
- One letter from a faculty member at their major program of study
- One letter from the program director or chair of the student’s academic program.
- These letters should confirm the eligibility of the applicant and must be written on university letterhead.
Additional Program Details
- OSLHA will provide up to $125 of reimbursements per individual to cover expenses that pertain to this event (i.e. travel, hotel, meals-no alcohol). Expenses that exceed this amount will be the responsibility of the participant. Original receipts and a mileage expense form (provided at event) must be submitted for reimbursement of eligible expenses, and reimbursements can be paid at the close of the Awards celebration or by mail post-event.
- Individuals who are selected for the program are strongly encouraged to register and participate in the convention activities. One-half of the registration fee to attend and participate in the Annual convention will be waived for participants of the Student Leadership Program.
- Applicants must indicate that they have the necessary financial resources, either personally or from the institution, to participate in the program.
- Applicants must affirm that they will be available to participate in the entire program which includes attendance at the Awards Celebration Thursday evening.
- Submit your application by our Deadline: January 15, 2020.
Become a Member!
Join our Membership Community Today!
- Full Membership (Speech & Audiology Professionals): $75
- Associate Membership (Allied Professions, Consumers, Clinical Fellows): $45
- Student Membership (Full-time CSD Students): $25
- Life Memberships Available to Lifetime Membership Participants
Benefits: Members receive significant discounts off the OSLHA Convention as well as access to exclusive online continuing education programming and accessibility to reasonably priced professional liability insurance coverage, ALL Included in an annual membership. All memberships expire on June 30th.